Wednesday 3 October 2012

Size does matter! Keep it small. Tiny.

Please tell me you all have the same problems as I do in this internet-based world that we live in. It's all driven by usernames, passwords, URLs, cookies and crumbs or something. An infinite number of web places with wondrous free things awaiting if you just register, sign up, log in, tune in and trip out. Maybe there's a log in with facebook option, or twitter or something? It all just seems to work. Until it doesn't.


This person is saying terrible things about you ... A friend has tagged you in a photo ... I can't believe this is you in this video. You click the message and, hey presto, someone has hacked your twitter, your facebook and who knows what else. You might not even know you've been compromised, unless a kind friend who has received spam from your hijacked account decides to let you know. Do you use the same username and password for internet banking and social media? System meltdown.

Almost as bad is when someone munches your cookies. You go to Goodreads, facebook, twitter, Google, webmail or whatever and hit the first letter of your username. It doesn't fill in the rest like it usually does. You type it in and wait for the long forgotten password to automatically appear as a row of asterixes. It doesn't. This can happen accidentally (using too broad a brush when clearing out internet history so no-one knows you've been looking at cute puppies), deliberately (if you let comeone else use your computer and they trash your cookies while eradicating their forensic trace evidence, because who can you trust these days?) or inadvertently (e.g. when you start using a new browser or your employer does an upgrade that wipes the slate clean or your hardware / software spontaneously combusts because it just knows your life is becoming dependent upon it). But when those cookies are gone, they're gone.


Do you keep your user names and passwords in a safe place? I bet you use the same ones all the time. Can you hear a van engine running outside in the dark? Those are villains waiting to hack into your WiFi, infiltrating your facebook account with fake party announcements, ordering takeaway food online for delivery and making large charitable cash donations to wildlife funds from your bank account (you can tell I don't think people are really evil).

How about your browsing history? Do you bookmark and favorite the myriad interesting reading, writing and strange food idea sites you come across? Do you keep them in some kind of sensible schema that enables you to ever find them ever again? Of course you could just try typing in part of the URL but that's not going to work for long because you or someone has wiped that browsing history during a moment of paranoia.

I'm a squirrel and it drives me nuts. I store everything somewhere safe. I know I have it but often can't find it. This laptop I'm writing on now has backups of the previous two laptops, three mp3 players, two cameras and four mobile phones on its hard disk. I have a back up of all that on an external hard disk which also contains a back up of two even earlier computers. At least twelve years of favorites, pics, novels, book reviews, music, you name it. How did we ever get by without all this stuff?

Is there a cure for all this complexity and paranoia? Keep it simple, maybe? You tell me. In the meantime I want to mention some other little things - custom URLs. One thing I do keep on my Notepad text file of links and whatnot is a number of shortened URLs I've created on TinyURL.com. If you are writing tweets and want to shorten links or if you want a very long link abbreviated to manageable length for some other purpose such as a blog post then Tiny and other shorteners can be very useful.

Just past in a link e.g. here's my affiliate URL for 50 Shades of Grey:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007L3BMGA/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&tag=httprubybarne-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007L3BMGA
and one click will shorten it to e.g. http://tinyurl.com/c95okt2
This looks even better if you enter a custom alias which Tiny will then allocate to your link e.g. http://tinyurl.com/RubyFSOG

A shortened, customised URL can be used for good or for evil. If you want to hide something (like an affiliate code as in the example above) then it's handy. That's only a minor evil. No one gets hurt. If you want to take someone to somewhere they wouldn't normally go (pictures of cute puppies?) then you can do that as well but that's spam, virus, bad boy tactics and the clicker will never trust you ever again, plus you'll get black listed and the fleas of a thousand camels will infest your armpits.

On the good side, you can keep a nice list of shortened links created for your own personal use with logical shortened forms. A good example of this, if you're an author, is a tiny URL for one of your books - http://tinyurl.com/CruciblePart1 takes me straight to my Amazon book page where I can check on my reviews for the new release or just look admiringly at my lovely cover art. It's also useful for tweets, blog posts, emails and chat forums. Pop that tiny URL onto facebook and it links straight through with the preview. Of course, people need to trust you not to lead them into darkness with your tiny URLs. Your tiny bits and pieces need to be unique and self-explanatory to gain click-through confidence.

There are various URL shortening sites, some offering analytics. Hootsuite uses Ow.ly, Google offers goo.gl, but I prefer TinyURL.com  because of the custom alias option.

Are you keeping it small?


Ruby Barnes - The New Author - a self-help guide to novel writing, publishing as an independent ebook author and promoting your brand using social networks 

If you've enjoyed reading Ruby's blog then please sign up to Ruby's News for freebies, advance review copies of upcoming novels and occasional updates. Thanks!
 

12 comments:

  1. Great post....one other thing to keep short, your Twitter account name. Lets you have more characters for your text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Donna. Yeah, you're right there. Small is beautiful in this 'micro-flash' world of twitter.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Ruby, that raised a smile as I wait for my delayed train into central london this morning but informative too. I will be checking out the tiny URL thing tonight and using it in my book promotion I suspect. Nice work. Nigel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nigel, thanks for leaving a comment. Yep, those shortened URLs can be very handy. I must work out the analytics side of it ;-)

      Delete
  3. Your post has made me paranoid! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Louise. I hardly dare click on my own links anymore! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Haha,Rubester, this struck a lost chord with me. I'm useless at remembering passwords.I have to re-do them all the time. I must get organised - one day - when I have time - which will never happen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have about 10 or 15 just for work and then upwards of 20 for writing. Hope the marbles don't get lost, Pamly! ;-)

      Delete
  5. I got burned once in twitter. Now, I believe nothing.

    Ah, remember the old days when we were expected to believe what we read. I wonder what happened.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder too. Everyday I get another - latest is "wat r u doing with him in this vid ROFL". Means that guy is infected too. We have to tread very rapidly in the cybersphere and yet simultaneously with caution!

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Ruby -- I added it to my browser tool bar. Great tip! I'll try to be as small as possible. It's getting hard, though. Nothing fits anymore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Richard. I try and keep the Google Url Shortener open on my browser.

      Delete