Monday 26 November 2012

Rantidote


According to Bill Gates, or someone, the average human mind can concentrate on a maximum of eight things at one time. In this world of technology we often have eight or more windows open on our computer and many more in our minds. Throw in the day job, a tribe of kids wanting taxi service, pets chewing things they shouldn't and a leaking tap in the kitchen. Add the never-ending stream of spam and scam emails, facebook ads (no, fb, I'm not looking for twenty-something gorgeous single women in my area - or, I should say, they're not looking for me), robo phone surveys and door to door callers. Yes I have broadband. Yes I would like uncongested broadband. No I don't believe you when you say you have cheaper uncongested broadband. No I don't want a genuine oil painting. Hey, let go of my puppy. Okay I'll buy it, just put the dog down on the ground unharmed and I'll sign. Slams door.



We're living on the edge. Just one more thing, one tiny thing and it's going to get ugly. Hey look, Amazon are selling e-books in India. Hey, now they're selling e-books in Japan. Shame that the whole sales volume seems to have slowed down, just at the time these two new markets are added to Kindle Direct Publishing. But wait a minute. Did really no one buy any e-books for several days? How come that long term free book isn't showing up any figures in the sales reports yet its ranking is steady in the charts? Check chat forums - established indie authors with monthly sales volumes in the hundreds or thousands seem to be experiencing a uniform sudden decline. Maybe India was too much for the KDP reports to digest. Perhaps Japan overloaded the system. The UK Amazon tax boycott? It's the US election. No, that's over, Thanksgiving then. Black Friday, Cyber Monday. Kindle software tiny text updates? Check and reformat my kindle books. Adjust prices up, down and sideways. No difference. Christmas approaching, the kids want new tablets, too much choice, too little money. Everything goes dark. My cerebral fuse has blown. When the lights come back on there's blood everywhere, some sort of salesman's electronic clipboard on the floor and a freshly dug mound of earth in the garden.

So, deep breath, ignore the carnage and go check on the Smashwords dashboard. No sales. Wait a minute. It's nearly December and the Smashwords sales figures don't even cover October for some channels, let alone November. Good job I put The Crucible epub direct on Kobo Writing Life to get instantaneous sales reporting. Over to Kobo where The Crucible remains in 'publishing' status even though I hit the publish button while on Colin Bateman's Bestseller course at the end of October. But I was drunk, so maybe they sort of knew that and there's a drunken author queue. Fair enough.

Back to Smashwords and The Crucible still hasn't been granted Premium Catalog status after three weeks 'pending review' there. But wait a minute, there isn't a submitted date on that dashboard. Seems I didn't actually submit The Crucible for premium catalog. I blame the drink. I blame me. Clearly, it's all my fault. If you've had any hiccups in your sales reporting that's probably my fault as well.

There. I feel much better after my rantidote. Try one.

No puppies were actually harmed during the making of this rantidote.

If you've enjoyed reading Ruby's blog then please sign up to Ruby's News for freebies, advance review copies of upcoming novels and occasional updates. Thanks! 

10 comments:

  1. OH dear, that is sounding like my life too at the mo... And I'm glad the puppy didn't get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, rantidote it out, Wendy. Puppy is alive and chewing my laptop charger cable ;-)

      Delete
  2. Just let go, Ruby. Forget about it all and go write another book. I have recently done just that, let the sales figures alone, simply enjoyed myself on Facebook and gone back to writing. I can't tell you how wonderful it is. I think your writing will suffer if you get too obsessed with sales. This writing business has its ups and downs and it will go back up again, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right, Susanne. Watching does no good at all. The paint either dries or it doesn't ;-)

      Delete
  3. so you mean reporting isn't in real time? maybe I am actually still selling and it just doesn't show up???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kobo and Smashwords direct seem to be the only places giving real-time reporting at the mo. Not sure about B&N as I can't deal direct with them from Ireland. KDP has an unpredictable lag. Channels via Smashwords can be up to a couple of months behind!

      Delete
  4. Are you sure no puppies were hurt during the writing of this Rantidote? I'm a little concerned! LOL I'd write one too, but yours seems to pretty much express my experiences as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can confirm the little blighter is alive and well, running rings around the garden ;-) Yep, adopt mine as yours and we'll rantidote together!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this. Maybe it's the time of year. Yes, that's it. Or not. Losing a grip on everything I'm playing at once gets pretty tiresome, but it always seems to happen, so why fight it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. Had a good laugh, but this is so real. I think Sussane said it. Just write another book and forget it. I'm at this point too.

    ReplyDelete